Annual Fee: $49
Rewards Program and Signup Bonuses*:
- Earn a $200 statement credit after you spend $500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- Get a $50 Disney gift card when you add an authorized user in first three 3 months after account opening
- Earn 2% in reward dollars on card purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants and most Disney locations
- Earn 1% on all your other card purchases
- 0% Promo APR for the first six billing cycles following the purchase date on select Disney vacation packages or purchase of a real estate interest. (After that, the regular APR applies, which is currently 16.49%, variable.)
- Special Disney discounts and perks
- Choose your own card design
The Disney Premier Visa card is a good card to have for Disney fans.
It comes with welcome bonus of a $200 statement credit after you spend $500 in the first 3 months to kick things off. Also, it offers strong purchase rewards with 2 percent cash back (in rewards dollars) on many common purchases, not just Disney purchases.
This card should be among the your finalists if you are a Disney fan.
Disney Premier Visa Rewards Program
The Disney Premier Visa card is geared heavily toward Disney fans. Basically, if you love Disney products and/or locations, this card offers substantial rewards.
Sign Up Bonus:
With the Disney Premier Visa card, you’ll receive a $200 statement credit by spending $500 in the first three months. That’ll get you into Disney World for a day with enough left over to buy a small souvenir.
On top of that, you can also get a $50 Disney gift card by adding an authorized use in the first three month.
You may expect only Disney purchases to qualify for the highest level of rewards, but you’ll earn 2 percent cash back per dollar spent at gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants. You’ll also earn this much at most Disney locations.
All other purchases qualify for 1 percent per dollar spent.
Rewards dollars can be redeemed for airline tickets on any airline. They can also be redeemed at Disney Store locations or DisneyStore.com. Additional redemption options include hotel stays at Disney Resorts, Disney Vacation Club annual dues, park passes and plenty more.
Additional Disney Perks:
In addition to earning rewards dollars, you’ll get several other perks with this card.* And these perks now include “Star Wars™ Perks”.
- Disney Character Experience at our private Cardmember location at the Disneyland® and Walt Disney World® Resorts.
- Save on select merchandise purchases, dining most days and select guided tours at the Disneyland® and Walt Disney World® Resorts
- Save on select merchandise purchases at Disney Store and DisneyStore.comDisney Store and DisneyStore.com
- Special vacation financing on select Disney vacation packages (more details below)
- On top of that, Disney can now offer you “Star Wars™ Perks”:
- Star Wars Character Experience at our private Cardmember location at the Disneyland® and Walt Disney World® Resorts.
- 10% off select Star Wars merchandise purchases of $50 or more at select locations at the Disneyland® and Walt Disney World® Resorts
There are some conditions and limitations to these perks. But nothing too onerous.
Promotional APR Offer:
As mentions above, there is a special financing offer on some Disney vacation packages.
The gist of the offer is you will get a 0% Promo APR for the first six billing cycles following the purchase date on select Disney vacation packages or purchase of a real estate interest, including a Member Add On, in a Disney Vacation Club® Resort, provided your account is not past due on the purchase date.
Remember that after that 6-month intro period expires, the regular APR applies.
Fees and Other Fine Print:
Alright - here comes the part where the guy on the radio says 300 words in 12 seconds.
This card comes with a $49 annual fee.
There is also a 3 percent foreign transaction fee, but that shouldn’t come into play often if you are using this card for it’s designed purpose. There is also a 3% balance transfer fee (minimum of $5) and 3% cash advance fee (minimum of $10).
The APR for this card is 16.49% (variable). (Variable means that this APR will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate.)
Rewards dollars are not the same as cash. They are Disney’s own currency. So, your usage of rewards dollars will be restricted to the offered redemption options.
Actually, that’s about it. There aren’t many what-ifs with this card.
That was less than 300 words, too. Not bad, huh?
Disney Premier Visa vs. Disney Rewards Visa
There also is a no fee version of the Disney credit card, which is simply called the Disney Rewards Visa card.
With the Disney Rewards Visa, you’ll receive a $50 statement credit after the first use. This is much less than the $200 statement credit that you can earn with the Disney Premier Visa. The difference is you will not need to spend any meaningful amount of money to get the $50 statement credit - you just need to make one purchase.
All purchases with the Disney Rewards Visa qualify for 1 percent cash back in the form of rewards dollars.
As many purchases with the Disney Premier Visa qualify for 2 percent cash back, this puts the Disney Rewards Visa at a major disadvantage in terms of purchase rewards. In fact, with the Disney Premier card you will earn the additional 1% in reward dollars on card purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants and most Disney locations for a total of 2% in these categories.*
Another critical difference is that the rewards dollars cannot be used for airline travel with the Rewards Visa. As you can do so with the Premier Visa, this is another major disadvantage of the Rewards Visa.
The rest of the rewards are very similar.
While there is a $49 annual fee with the Premier Visa, there is no annual fee with the rewards Visa.Although the annual fee is higher on the Disney Premier Visa, most people will easily do better with this card.
It’s higher upfront bonus will cover the difference in annual fees during the first three years. And it’s offer of 2 percent cash back on some purchases will more than cover this amount in future years for most people.
Also, with the ability to cash in on airline travel, this card is an easy pick over the Disney Rewards Visa.
The Disney Premier Visa is relatively hassle-free and doesn’t attempt to lure you in with half-truths.It offers strong rewards at a reasonable price. Just remember that the rewards dollars are not the same as cash before you sign up, meaning that you should only get this card if you spend at lot on Disney merchandise and experiences.