THIS PAGE MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. MEANING WE RECEIVE COMMISSIONS FOR PURCHASES MADE THROUGH THOSE LINKS, AT NO COST TO YOU. PLEASE READ OUR DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Credit Shout may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World MasterCard®
Annual Fee: $95 (waived for first year)
Credit Required: Good
Rewards Program and Signup Bonuses*:
- Designed for businesses with an established credit history.
- Earn 30,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines flights for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation.
- Enjoy Group 1 Boarding on American Airlines flights.
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines® purchases.
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications, car rental merchants and at gas stations.
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases.
Intro Balance Transfer
The CitiBusiness/AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard is one of the best business cards out there for raking up airline miles and earning free airfare on American Airlines. The card has a great sign-up bonus with a low minimum spending threshold and an annual fee that's waived for the first year. It's hard to beat considering the high value of American's AAdvantage miles.
Right now, the CitiBusiness / AAdvantage card comes with 30,000 bonus AAdvantage miles once you spend $1,000 during the first 3 months. American miles have a value of about 1.8 cents a piece, which means those bonus miles are worth about $900!
How the Rewards Program Works
The CitiBusiness/AAdvantage card has a very straightforward rewards program that rewards you with AAdvantage miles for any purchases you make. The miles you earn can be redeemed for flights with American Airlines (including US Air), American Eagle (now known as Envoy Air), and AmericanConnection.
All your purchases will earn at least 1 AAdvantage mile. And there is no cap on the miles you can earn, and they never expire.
Editor's Note: The US Airways brand name was discontinued on October 17, 2015.
How to Earn Miles
The miles you earn depends on your spending*:
- 30,000 bonus miles if you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months.
- 2 miles per $1 spent on American Airlines and US Airways purchases.
- 2 miles per $1 spent with certain car rental, telecommunications, and office supply merchants.
- 1 AAdvantage mile per $1 on all other spending.
- 5% mileage bonus on your card anniversary.
As stated above, you get a 5% mileage bonus on your anniversary each year. This is basically a dividend on your spending throughout the year. And we think it is quite a nice perk.
You will also earn miles for spending on any employee cards at the same rate as your card.
All miles earned by spending on the card are added to the miles you earn from your actual travel. This way, when you fly, you get the miles for the travel and bonus equal to twice the ticket price.
Redeeming Your Miles
You will be able to redeem your miles on the following airlines:
- American Airlines
- US Airways (until it formerly completes its name change to American in October 2015)
- Envoy Air (formerly knowns as American Eagle)
The big downside is that the most miles you are able to redeem at a time are 25,000.
For example, you can redeem up to 25,000 air miles for a single roundtrip coach class ticket to destinations in the continental United States and Canada.
The good news is that there are no blackout dates on your rewards travel.
In addition to being able to redeem your miles for flights, you also can earn one discounted companion ticket per year (after your first year).
The primary cardholder earns a $99 domestic economy fare certificate after $30,000 or more in eligible spending during the year. This includes spending on your card and on your employees cards.
Once earned, you will pay the $99 companion ticket fee plus $21.60 - $43.20 in taxes and fees.
Reduced Mileage Awards
Every month, American Airlines offers CitiBusiness Advantage cardholders a 7,500 miles to travel to certain popular destination.
This means you can book travel with even fewer miles than normally required.
Discounted destinations change monthly. Just check here to see available destinations for this month and upcoming months.
Other Travel Benefits
As a Citi AAdvantage business cardholder, you will enjoy the following benefits when you travel on American*:
- First checked bag free for you and up to 4 companions.
- Boarding privileges with Group 1 on domestic AA flights and Zone 2 on domestic US Airways flights.
- 25% savings on eligible in-flight purchases on US Airways and AA flights. This includes food, beverages, and headsets.
The card used to come with two Admirals Club passes worth $50 each but this has been discontinued.
Additional Card Benefits
This card also comes with the great consumer benefits offered to Citi cardholders*:
- Identity Theft Solution - personalized assistance in case you are a victim of identity theft.
- Extended Warranty - Adds a year up to your warranty and covers you up to $10,000 per year.
- Damage & Theft Protection - Covers you up to $1,000 per item and up to $50,000 per year.
- 24/7 Customer Service - This includes travel and emergency assistance.
- Worldwide Car Rental Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance
- Quarterly and Annual Account Summaries
Interest and Fees
The major drawback to this card is its $95 annual fee. On the positive side, this fee is waived for the first 12 months. And all additional employee cards are free.
Another negative is that this is a travel rewards card that comes with a foreign transaction fee.
Charges and Fees
APR for Purchases
15.49% APR. This APR will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate.
APR for Balance Transfers
15.49% APR. This APR will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate..
APR for Cash Advances
21.99%. This APR will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate.
29.99%. This APR will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate
$0 for 1st year. $95 thereafter.
Balance Transfer Fee
Greater of $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer.
Cash Advance Fee
Greater of $5 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance
3% of each transaction after conversion to US dollars.
Late Payment Fee
Up to $39.
The Bottom Line
We highly recommend the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World MasterCard®.
Not only do we think it is the best American Advantage miles card out there, it is one of the top business airline miles credit cards around.
And thanks to the high value of American Airlines miles, earning your rewards miles on American are hard to beat.
- 30,000 bonus AAdvantage miles sign-up bonus
- 2x miles on American Airlines flights and certain business purchasesFirst checked bag free for you and up to 4 companions
- Earn an AA Companion Certificate
- Annual mileage bonus
- Reduced Mileage Awards let you fly with fewer miles
- Priority boarding
- Cap on miles available for any one travel reward purchase
- $95 Annual Fee (waived the first year)
- Foreign transaction fee
- No longer offers Admiral Club passes
- Other cards offer better rewards for office supplies and telecommunications costs.