THIS PAGE MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. MEANING WE RECEIVE COMMISSIONS FOR PURCHASES MADE THROUGH THOSE LINKS, AT NO COST TO YOU. PLEASE READ OUR DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
It’s funny in retrospect, but frustrating when it happens. Your big ticket purchase — a laptop, digital camera, flat screen TV or major appliance, for instance — breaks the day after your manufacturer’s warranty expires. Even if you purchase an extended warranty from the retailer, the item breaks the day after that warranty expires.
It happened to me so often, I stopped purchasing additional warranty protection because I knew, whatever the length of the warranty, the item would break beyond repair a day or two after the warranty expired. Certain items are not meant to be disposable, (such as the aforementioned laptops, etc.) but, as your grandparents might tell you, “They don’t make things like they used to.”
Enter the American Express Extended Warranty program. The American Express Extended Warranty program is one of the more useful benefits to being an American Express CardMember — and one that you hope you never have to use.
However, you’ll find peace of mind knowing that, when you purchase an item that has a U.S. manufacturer’s warranty of up to five years, American Express will double that warranty up to one year. All you have to do to activate the warranty is use your American Express card for the purchase. In essence, items may be warranted for up to six years when you use your American Express card. I don’t mind so much if an item breaks after six years — rather than just one!
Not only is the primary Cardmember covered under the Amex Extended Warranty coverage, but so are Additional Cardmembers as long as they hold an American Express card issued in the U.S. or one of its territories and are a U.S. resident.
Making a claim with your American Express Extended Warranty coverage is easy. Simply call 1-800-225-3750 or visit their online claim site.
You may need to provide:
- the American Express charge receipt
- the original store receipt
- the original manufacturer’s warranty
- proof of covered damage or problem while the extended warranty is in effect
- a repair estimate
Be sure to keep the damaged or broken item because American Express may ask you to ship it back to them or may decide to have it repaired rather than replaced.
Amex is known for its helpful customer service staff and top-notch service. Cardmembers who have used the Extended Warranty protection report it is hassle-free. Some say American Express has the easiest claims process. You can even file a claim and check the status of your claim online.
What You Need to Know
- American Express only covers purchases up to $10,000, not to exceed $50K per Cardmember in one policy year
- The Extended Warranty does not cover shipping and handling expenses or installation, assembly, or other service charges.
- You will need to show proof of your purchase and the original manufacturer’s warranty
- American Express will decide whether the item will be repaired or replaced or to reimburse your American Express card up to the purchase price
- If your American Express card is canceled, it voids your Extended Warranty coverage
- Other exclusions apply based on your original manufacturer’s warranty