Editorial Discloser: Opinions expressed here are authors alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
Credit Shout may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Verdict: The CVS ExtraCare Rewards card earns you 2% cash back for most purchases. Pay close attention to sales and opportunities to earn additional Extra Bucks and you can really maximize your rewards cash. It’s one of the more generous free rewards programs available. Added bonus: CVS reps are always happy to look up your ExtraCare account using your phone number, and, at least in the CVS’s I frequent, they always remind you to use your card.
Overview: The CVS ExtraCare Rewards card offers 2% back on every in-store CVS/pharmacy purchase, as well as online (with some exceptions), plus 1 Extra Buck for every 2 prescriptions purchased online or at the store.
Every three months, your cash register receipt will show your total bucks, which can be redeemed during your next purchase. I’ve earned as much as $20 in ExtraCare bucks in one quarter, usually after big photo purchases like party invitations and thank you cards. Since CVS sells practically everything, from prescription and over-the-counter medications to small flat screen TVs and digital cameras, you have lots of opportunities to earn money on your purchases.
How This Card Works: To use the card for basic rewards, it’s very easy. Present the card at the register when you check out, or provide your phone number to the cashier. When you shop online, create a user account, “attach” your rewards card number to your account, and earn your Extra Bucks automatically. There’s no limit on the amount of ExtraBucks you can earn in one quarter.
- 2% cash back on every purchase (exclusions apply)
- 1 Extra Buck for every 2 prescriptions purchased in-store and online, up to $40 per year per card (not valid in New York or New Jersey)
You do not earn 2% cash back on:
- gift cards (the person making the purchase with the card can earn the rewards on a CVS gift card
- postage stamps and money orders
- pre-paid cards
- special order Home Health Care items
You can really save when you pay attention to in-store sales, special discounts available to ExtraCare members, and ways to earn additional Extra Bucks. Each time you shop, you’ll receive at least 2 coupons printed on your register receipt for discounts on a variety of name-brand products. You’ll get added savings on in-store specials. And often, you can earn bonus ExtraCare Bucks when you buy sale items. These special Extra Bucks print on your receipt immediately following your qualifying purchase, so you can enjoy your savings the next time you shop.
I remember one sale where I earned $15 in Extra Bucks ($15 in savings) for buying two boxes of Pampers, which were also on sale that week. I also used two $3 off coupons mailed to me from Pampers. Then I went back the same day and used my $15 off coupon, plus two more manufacturer coupons, toward two more boxes. Not bad.
CVS is a favorite store of coupon-savvy shoppers, because there are actually ways to score free merchandise if you use coupons and pay close attention to the sales, even though the everyday prices tend to be high because you’re paying for the convenience. If you’re a coupon-er, the CVS ExtraCare card is a must-have. For regular shoppers, it’s still worthwhile.
- Simple, straightforward ways to earn discounts
- 2 % cash back on every purchase
- $1 in ExtraCare Bucks for every 2 prescriptions (up to $40/year)
- No limit to Extra Bucks you can earn (except on prescriptions)
- Get your ExtraCare Bucks to redeem every three months
- Additional coupon savings opportunities every time you shop
- Great chances to earn ExtraCare Bucks on sale items
- Use your card online or in the store
- If you ever forget your card, simply provide your phone number at check-out
- The best coupons have fast expiration dates
- Extra Bucks expire
- Remember to bring your Extra Bucks coupons when you shop, or you’ll miss out on savings