Editorial Discloser: Opinions expressed here are authors alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
Credit Shout may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Learn more about the CitiBusiness AAdvantage card and its benefits
There are many credit cards on the market that cater to small business and corporate customers. Business cards can carry rewards and benefits, such as big sign-up bonuses and travel benefits. The business card you or your company ends up choosing can make a significant difference in the kinds of rewards you earn.
If you’re a frequent business traveler with a penchant for flying on American Airlines, one business card you might want to consider is the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard.
Below is a review of the CitiBusiness AAdvantage card, which can assist when deciding if this card will work for your business needs.
Who is this card for?
The CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard works best for entrepreneurs, deal seekers, penny pinchers and of course, the traveler.
- The entrepreneur is looking to turn their idea into the next big business success story.
- A deal seeker scours websites for the best deals and bargains for products and services.
- Penny pinchers are sticklers for their budget and make purchases based on needs.
- The traveler doesn’t let grass grow under his or her feet and their wanderlust constantly has them traveling the U.S. or jet setting across the globe either for business or personal pursuits.
The CitiBusiness AAdvantage card has perks that’ll benefit each of these types.
CitiBusiness AAdvantage Welcome Bonus
Like most credit cards, the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard offers some pretty sweet perks for people who’ve just been approved. One of those bonus perks is geared toward travel. a new user earns 65,000 American AAdvantage bonus miles after spending $4,000 in purchases within the first four months of opening the account. In terms of dollars, the bonus miles offered by this card calculate to be worth a little over $1,460 and are enough for a one-way business-class award flight to France or eight shorter flights anywhere in the U.S. This bonus miles offered by the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard makes it one of the most attractive airline business cards currently available.
The card waives the annual fee of $99 for the first 12 months. This allows you the ability to try out all the perks the card has to offer and decide if this card works for your business and employees before your card renews.
Additional CitiBusiness AAdvantage Card Benefits and Perks
- No foreign transaction fees: This perk is beneficial for global travelers. Most cards charge up to 3% for foreign transactions. The CitiBusiness card saves you and your employees money by removing this fee.
- First checked bag free: For the primary card holder and up to four companions on the same reservation for flights in the U.S.
- Miles on miles: Earn 2x miles for every dollar spent on cable and satellite providers, telecommunications merchants gas stations, car rentals and on eligible American Airlines purchases. Earn 1X miles for every dollar spent on other purchases. The authorized card user can also earn miles with purchases made by employees, while staying in control with individual spend limits. Depending on the needs of your business, you and your employees will have the opportunity to rack up plenty of miles.
- Preferred boarding: By adding your American Airlines loyalty number to your flight reservation, you and up to four traveling companions will get to board the flight right after premium-cabin and elite-status members.
- 25% savings on inflight services: Cardholders will save 25% on American Airlines snacks, drinks and Wi-Fi purchases when they use their CitiBusiness AAdvantage card.
- Annual $99 companion certificate: The cardholder can receive a certificate for a companion to fly with you for $99, plus taxes and fees. This benefit provides the most advantage for big spenders and to receive this benefit the cardholder must spend $30,000 in a year and renew the card allowing it to remain open for at least 45 days after the account anniversary.
- Mastercard Easy Savings enrollment: As a Citi American Airlines Mastercard holder, you become automatically enrolled in Mastercard Easy Saving, a rebate program on certain merchant purchases.
- Complimentary employee cards: Cardholders can add authorized users for free, which enables you to track your employees purchases and set spending limits. This also allows a greater detail when creating expense reports.
- Citi Private Pass access: Through Citi Private Pass, Citi customers receive early access to concerts, sports events, theater performances and more. Customers may also receive better seats or invitations to special events.
- Personal business assistant: 24/7 personal business assistant to help with travel, hotel and dining arrangements, entertainment and vendor sourcing.
- Special software offers: Special offers provided by your AAdvantage Mastercard can help save money and increase efficiency with Microsoft, Salesforce and Intuit.
Redeeming American Airlines miles
American provides many opportunities to redeem miles, largely because it’s the largest worldwide airline, based on passengers carried. When looking to redeem your welcome bonus miles, you can redeem 50,000 of your 65,000 American Airlines miles for two round-trip coach award flights within the continental U.S.
Other ways you can use your welcome bonus American Airline miles include:
- 45,000 miles for a round-trip coach award flight to Hawaii
- 50,000 miles for two round-trip coach award flights within the continental U.S.
- 60,000 miles for a one-way business-class award flight to Korea
- 40,000 miles for a round-trip coach award flight to Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru.
It’s important to note that how you redeem them will be based on you and your employees travel needs. On average, the miles you receive from this Citi credit card are worth $2.26 when redeemed for flights. It’s crucial to search for flights to get an idea of the cost for upcoming trips so you can better use your miles.
Along with redeeming your miles for flights, cardholders can also use their miles for:
- Ticket upgrades
- Rental cars and hotel stays
- Vacation packages
- Gift cards
The CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard has benefits for both corporate and small businesses, provided these businesses are loyal American Airline travelers and spend a lot of time in the air. Even if you are a one-man business, such as a freelance writer, photographer, or Airbnb host, you may still qualify for this card by using your social security number and your own name for the name of your business. Because it’s a business card, the CitiBusiness AAdvantage card won’t appear on your personal credit report. The sign-up bonus is worth over $1,000 in airfare and can be used on flights for partner airlines, like Alaska Airlines and Cathay Pacific. Cardholders also save on baggage fees and foreign transactions, which can add up if you’re doing a lot of traveling.