THIS PAGE MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. MEANING WE RECEIVE COMMISSIONS FOR PURCHASES MADE THROUGH THOSE LINKS, AT NO COST TO YOU. PLEASE READ OUR DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Verdict: Best Buy revamped its rewards program — and the change is definitely for the better. This free program lets you rack up points for your purchases quickly and redeem them for a Best Buy discount certificate with as few as 250 points. It’s a simple, straightforward program with enough perks to make it worthwhile. You’ll really start seeing savings and benefits if you spend more than $2,500 in a calendar year and are upgraded to Premier Silver status.
Overview: This program is free, the biggest difference between the new Best Buy rewards and the older version, which had an annual fee of $9.99 for the year. You’ll earn one point per dollar for nearly every purchase at Best Buy stores or at BestBuy.com. Premier Silver members get even more benefits and savings. For a free card, it’s not bad, but it really pays to get this card if you are planning big purchases, like appliances or a home theatre system.
How this card works: As far as store rewards cards go, it’s very simple. You present your Best Buy rewards card when you make a purchase, and earn 1 point for every dollar spent on most purchases.
If you ever forget to use your card in the store, you can log in to the rewards portal hereand input the information on your receipt to claim your rewards.
When you shop at BestBuy.com, you must first link your BestBuy.com account to your MyRZ.com account in order to earn your rewards points.
Rewards: Earn points on most purchases at the rate of 1 point for every $1 spent. Then earn gift certificates when you earn either 250 points ($5 certificate), 500 points ($10 certificate) or 1000 points ($20 certificate). You will earn points on gift card purchases, but not on redemptions.
If you’re a regular Rewards Zone member, (not a credit card member or Premier Silver member) your points will expire at the beginning of the calendar year. You’ll receive a rewards certificate for the points in your account, and any remaining points will be forfeited. If you have 300 points, you’ll receive a $5 certificate and lose the last 50 points.
Additionally, if you are a regular member and have not accrued any points for a continuous 12-month period, your membership will expire at the end of that month.
You can upgrade your membership to Premier Silver by spending $2500 in any calendar year at Best Buy or BestBuy.com. Then you’ll earn 1.25 points per dollar, and your points never expire. You can even set your account to receive certificates automatically when you reach 250, 500 or 1000 points.
Other benefits to Premier Silver membership include:
- Free standard shipping on BestBuy.com purchases
- 45-day extended return policy and no restocking fees
- One free movie rental download per month
- Unlimited music streaming and 15 MP3 credits every 3 months
- Complimentary Geek Squad Home Theater consultation worth $99
- Priority customer and product support through the Premier Silver helpline
- Additional savings, bonuses, and exclusive access to entertainment events
- Membership is free
- Easy online access
- Rewards for shopping at Best Buy or BestBuy.com
- Log in-store purchases easily online at home if you forget to use your card
- The best benefits don’t begin until you spend $2,500 for the year
- Points expire at the end of the calendar year
- Your card can be canceled after 12 months of inactivity