Wells Fargo Platinum Visa® Credit Card
Annual Fee: $0
Credit Needed: Excellent/Good
Rewards Program and Signup Bonuses*:
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers, after that the variable APR will be 15.65%-25.49%
- Get up to $600 protection on your cell phone (subject to $25 deductible) against covered damage or theft when you pay your monthly cellular telephone bill with your Wells Fargo Platinum Visa® Credit Card
- Zero Liability protection for promptly reported unauthorized transactions
- Convenient tools to help create a budget and manage your spending with My Money Map
- $0 Annual Fee
0% for 15 months
Intro Balance Transfer
0% for 15 months
Providing its new cardholders with 15 moths of a 0 percent introdcutry interest rate, and then giving those with good credit the chance to nab a more permanent interest rate that’s well below card averages, the Wells Fargo Platinum Visa credit card is a top-of-the-line basic credit card.
It’s not a rewards card, so it doesn’t come loaded with extras. But for consumers looking for low rates, and no annual fee, this card is a strong choice.
Like many standard credit cards today, the Wells Fargo Platinum card comes with an introductory interest rate of 0 percent. That’s good news.
What’s even better news is that cardholders can nab a relatively low permanent interest rate, too, once their introductory period ends.
Consumers need to be cautious, though: If their credit scores are low, they’ll be stuck with a high interest rate.
How This Card Works:
The Wells Fargo Platinum card works like most standard cards: It does have a few unusual features, though.
Cardholders can choose their own payment due date. They can also access a monthly spending report, generated automatically, that lists and categorizes their charges for the month.
Travel and Shopping Benefits:
This isn’t a rewards card. But the Wells Fargo Platinum card does come with free online account access and automatic car rental insurance.
The big perk with this card, however, is the cell phone accident protection program.
So long as you pay your wireless telephone bill with your Wells Fargo credit card, you are automatically enrolled.
And, in the event your phone is damaged or stolen, the protection plan provides you with up to $600 of protection (subject to $25 deductible).
There are several exclusions, which you can read about in more detail here. However, the two most important exclusions are:
- The protection plan does not cover cosmetic damage -- which is defined as damage that does not interfere with your ability to make and receive calls.
- Lost phones are also not covered.
Yes, the two biggest items you want covered, a slightly damaged screen or a lost phone, are not covered. But these are not covered by most other protection plans we've reviewed - even though you can pay $10 or more per month for those.
The Bottom Line:
- 0 percent introductory interest rate.
- Low purchase interest rate for cardholders with strong credit scores.
- No annual fee.
- Cell phone accident protection program.
- Interest rate can rise to 25.49 percent for cardholders with low credit scores.
- Returned-payment and late fees up to $35.