Since its launch, the Discover it card has become one of the most versatile and popular reward credit cards on the market. This year, Discover has unveiled the "it chrome" card, which has the same great features of the regular it card with a revamped rewards card. Here is why this card is worth your consideration.
Key Features & Benefits
- Double all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year automatically - only for new cardmembers.
- 2% cash back on up to $1,000 in combined purchases at restaurants and gas stations every quarter - no sign-ups needed.
- 1% cash back on all your other purchases.
- 0% into APR on purchases and balance transfers for 14 months - then a variable 10.99% - 22.99% APR. A 3% fee applies to each transferred balance.
- No annual fee, no over-limit fee, no late fee on your first late payment, and no foreign transaction fee.
- Free FICO® Credit Score online and on your monthly statement so you can track your score's progress.
- Each Discover purchase is monitored. If it's unusual, you're alerted by e-mail, phone or text-and never responsible for unauthorized Discover card purchases.
- 100% US based customer service - anytime, day and night.
Discover it Chrome Rewards Program
With the Discover it chrome card, you earn 2% cash back on gasoline and restaurant spending on the first $1,000 each quarter, so potentially up to $80 back during the year, plus 1% cash back on all other spending.
Your cash back can be redeemed the following ways:
- Statement credit
- Direct deposit to your bank
- Gift cards
- Redeem at partner retailers such as Amazon.com with a $1 to $1 rate.
Discover it Chrome versus Discover it: Which Should You Choose?
The main difference between the Discover it and Discover it chrome cards is the rewards program. The original it card earns 5% cash back on popular categories that change quarterly (such as department stores, groceries, entertainment and gasoline), with 1% back on everything else. The it chrome has a much simpler 2% back on restaurant and gasoline spending with 1% back on everything else. Other than this, the cards are the same.
If you spend less than $1,000 on gasoline and restaurants every 3 months, and you don't think you would use other spending categories very often with the card, you will probably earn more cash back with the it chrome credit card. If you plan to use your card a lot, even if you will not necessarily spend in the rotating categories, you will likely come out ahead with the regular it card.
You don't necessarily have to choose between the two, though! You can get both cards and use your regular it card for spending in quarterly categories and your it chrome for gasoline and restaurant spending to maximize your rewards.
Looking for a different Discover it Rewards Card?
Discover it chrome versus Citi Simplicity
Aside from the regular it card, the it chrome can also be compared to the Citi Simplicity, which is also a straightforward credit card with no annual fee, no overlimit fee, no penalty APR and no late fee for your first late payment
The main difference between the two? The Simplicity does not have a rewards card and is geared more toward people who are trying to pay down debt and want to take advantage of a 0% intro APR and a straightforward credit card to do it.
The Bottom Line
The original Discover it card was a real game changer, and the chrome is a great follow-up that mixes up the rewards program. If you don't want to deal with rotating categories and you'd prefer an easy-to-use card with great rewards and no unnecessary penalties.