Below is a list of our top picks from each category and the best cards overall for this month.
What do we look for when compiling our list of best credit cards?
1. Generous rewards programs without hidden rewards caps, fees, or other fine print.
2. Attractive sign up incentives such as bonus cash back or points that are easy to redeem.
Discover it allows you to earn 5% cash back in popular spending categories (like gas, groceries, entertainment) that rotate throughout the year. In addition you can earn up to 1% cash back on all other purchases that you make with this card.
Discover it Rewards:
- Generous… 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $1,500 in purchases at Home Improvement Stores now through June with free and easy sign-up. And 1% cash back on all other purchases.*
- Get unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases at over 8 million merchants nationwide (Nielson Report, Feb 2012).
- Call our new Cashback ConcerigeSM who guides a customized online site tour to help you get the most from your rewards based on how you use your card.
We also love this card because of the online shopping perks. Discover it allows you to redeem the cash back you earn directly on Amazon.com or iTunes to pay for purchases. There is no waiting period to redeem your rewards, you choose what you want to buy and select the “pay with cashback” option during checkout.
If you shop through Discover’s ShopDiscover online mall you can earn up to an additional 20% cash back on purchases (on top of the 1 – 5% cash back you normally earn). This is really useful when you are making big purchases. If you are planning on buying a new Macbook for example, by purchasing with Apple through ShopDiscover you would earn an additional 5% cash back which could save you between $50 and $150!
However, Discover it takes the top spot on our list because of it’s transparency and lack of fine print. This is why Discover it is truly revolutionary. Unlike many rewards cards, there is no annual fee with this card. You also won’t be charged a fee the first time you pay late, and your interest rate won’t be increased.
There are no rotating categories to worry about with this card, meaning that you can earn unlimited cash back all year round. Blue Cash Everyday also has no annual fee, making this a no-brainer for those looking to maximize their cash back.
Blue Cash Everyday Rewards:
- Earn 100 Reward Dollars after you make $1,000 in purchases in the first three months of Cardmembership
- Earn Cash Back: 3% at US supermarkets, up to $6,000 per year in purchases, 2% at US gas stations & select US dept stores, 1% on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit.
- Simple and Straightforward: With the Blue Cash Everyday Card, you can start earning cash back. No rotating reward categories. No enrollment required.
- No annual fee, 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months. After that, your APR will be a variable rate, currently 12.99%-21.99% with flexibility to pay over time.
- Terms and Restrictions Apply.
In addition to the rewards program mentioned above, American Express is now offering a bonus of $100 in rewards dollars after your first $1000 in purchases during the first three months with Blue Cash.
What’s amazing about this card is it gives college students access to the same rewards program and perks traditionally reserved for people with excellent credit.
Discover Student it Rewards:
- Get 5% cash back at restaurants and movies right now through March on up to $1,500 in purchases with free and easy sign-up. Enjoy more quarterly 5% programs in categories like gas, online shopping and more throughout the year up to the quarterly cap when you sign up for each program.
- And get unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases at over 8 million merchants nationwide (Nielson Report, Feb 2012).
As with the standard Discover it Card, what really sets this card apart from is the lack of hidden fees and fine print. Discover it for Students has no annual fee, no over-the-limit fee, no fee the first time you pay late and your APR won’t in increased in that situation either.
We love Venture because of its simplicity. With the Venture card you earn double miles on all purchases, with no blackout dates and no foreign transaction fees. You can redeem your rewards for ANY travel expenses, including airfare, hotel rooms and rental cars. The annual fee for Venture is waived for the first year, after that it’s $59.
Earn 10,000 bonus miles when you spend $1,000 on purchases within the first 3 months, equal to $100 in travel
Capital One Venture Rewards:
- 2 miles per dollar on every purchase, every day
- As seen in Money® Magazine’s “Best” issue three years in a row. – Money® Magazine May 2010, 2011, 2012
- Earn 10,000 bonus miles when you spend $1,000 on purchases within the first 3 months, equal to $100 in travel
- Redeem your miles for any travel expense
- No limit on the miles you can earn and miles don’t expire
- Fly on any airline, any time with no blackout dates
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $59 after that
Citi Hilton HHonors Rewards:
- Earn 40,000 Hilton HHonors Bonus Points after spending $1,000 within 4 months of account opening*
- Earn 6 HHonors Bonus Points for each $1 spent at a participating hotel within the Hilton HHonors portfolio.*
- Earn 3 HHonors Bonus Points for each $1 spent on purchases at supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations.*
- Earn 2 HHonors Bonus Points for each $1 spent on all other purchases.*
- No annual fee.*
As stated above you can currently earn 40,000 bonus points with this card after spending $1,000 in the first four months of cardmembership. It is VERY rare to find a bonus like this with a travel card that has no annual fee. – Just to give you an idea of how much this deal is worth, 40,000 bonus points can be redeemed for 5 nights at a Tier 1 hotel like Hampton Inn (not all locations are Tier 1).
Premier Rewards Gold Card Rewards:
- Earn More: earn 25K Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2K during your first three months of Card membership; earn 15K points after you spend $30,000 within one calendar year
- Earn Fast: 3X points for flights booked with airlines, 2X points at US gas stations and US supermarkets, 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- Use points for gift cards for dining, entertainment, and to shop over 300 of some of your favorite brands
- Access to Benefits: Baggage Insurance Plan* when you travel, and shop with confidence with Extended Warranty* and Return Protection.*Underwritten by Amex Assurance Company
- Book two consecutive hotel nights through American Express Travel and receive $75 back at checkout. Restrictions may apply
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $175
- Terms and Restrictions Apply